Do you ever feel like you have no fucking clue what you're doing with your life? I do. And I'll be damned if everyone who reads this hasn't thought it at some point in time. Don't get me wrong. I have a career that I love. I've found my passion, I have a roof over my head, and I have a supportive family and amazing friends who would do anything for me. I'm thankful for the life that I live, but I am human and there are still days that I wake up and think that I'm not living up to my full potential. I wonder if I'm doing things right. I get down on myself for not being where a "normal" 32 year old is in life. And honestly, it's ridiculous for me to even think this.
I strongly believe that we're conditioned to second guess ourselves because of what today's society says is normal. It's extremely unfortunate that we have reached a point where the world we live in has made us feel like we have to live up to certain expectations (physically, financially, and emotionally) in order to be considered a normal/successful human being.
For example, you're considered normal/successful if:
1) You make a lot of money
2) Your body looks a certain way (no lumps, bumps, bruises, or scars)
3) You drive an expensive car
4) You own an expensive home
5) You don't have any form of depression, anxiety, etc.
5) More stupid shit that doesn't actually matter....
Our happiness is often measured in the little greenish brown pieces of paper that we carry around in our wallets (gross), but guess what. Money has nothing on self love and compassion for other people. I'm 32 years old and I haven't "settled down", bought a home, had kids, OR bought my first new car yet... (GASP!!!) Oh, and NEWS FLASH!!! This changes nothing about how "normal" or successful I am. I'm just doing me and I'm learning how to be a better human along the way.
My success is NOT based on the money I make, the car I drive, the house I live in, or how my body looks. Neither is yours! My success is based solely on the person I strive to be each and every day. The hard work I put into what I do, and the people that I impact along the way. No, I'm not perfect. I stumble around trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing half of the time, but it's the effort and heart that I'm grasping onto as I hit the floor each time I fall that measures my success. It's recognizing that I'm not perfect and that I never will be, but I get up anyway. There are times when I want to throw in the towel, but then I remember why I started this journey. I remember that I'm simply a perfectly imperfect version of myself that continues to strive to be better. We all have our demons, myself included. I'm learning to own up to them and not let them consume me like I have in the past. This is what life is all about. We all have the ability to rise to the occasion. Your time will come and you'll blow your own damn mind! It's extremely important that we all do our part to help others see the greatness within them. Make it easy for people to be themselves around you. Be approachable. I will admit that there were times in my past that I failed to do this for the people around me, but I made a promise to myself that it would never happen again.
I've learned to....
1) Keep an open mind.
2) Embrace the differences I see in other people (LEARN from them).
3) Call myself on my own bullshit.
4) Listen to all constructive criticism thrown my way (then do my best to make it my bitch!)
5) Never stop learning.
6) Be myself.
7) Love myself.
Humankind comes first. People matter most. Doing your part to impact others in a game changing way is what's going to make the differences that this struggling world needs. Share your story and listen to others. A little compassion goes a long way. Letting people know that they aren't alone in the things that they are going through can save them. It's time to be brave. It's time to make the changes in ourselves that will impact those around us in a uplifting and motivating way. I'm in. Are you?
Until next time.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment